This conversation with Michael Doyle (former colleague at Red Hat) explores what we found in Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday and reflect it back on ourselves.
Conversation Highlights & References
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- Extended bibliography
- Primary sections: Aspire, Success, and Failure
- Relationship between our values and our ego
- Is ego ever a positive thing?
- Marie Forleo’s interview with Ryan Holiday
- What does your ego look like to you/how does it show up?
- Doing and working over being and having
- Abstract: The Art of Design (Netflix series)
- The Rocket Launch approach to getting out of bed
- Blue Collar productivity as described by Steve Chandler
- How ego appears as excuses when we fail
- Setting ego aside to embrace new perspectives or ideas
- Ego and it’s relationship to how much money you need
- Pleasure versus happiness
- How the little things add up to big success
- Create your own definition of success
- Your personal values
- Write or print out a list
- Rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how well you are honoring them
- The Five Minute Journal by Intelligent Design
- Useful way to measure success
- Ongoing retrospectives
- Ego aides us in overestimating our abilities and defeating discipline
- What’s a small daily practice to help you build mastery?
- Learning from failure instead of making excuses
- Hate versus love
Connect with Michael Doyle
All songs licensed under Creative Commons