I’m not a huge twitter user, though I have found it to be an interesting and useful medium. I don’t automatically follow everyone that follows me and in general I don’t follow back if:
- You’ve never tweeted anything or you haven’t tweeted anything in the last 6 months.
- You have very few followers.
- You use a robo-tweeter that appears to auto-post quotes and other random stuff multiple times a day, usually every hour, every single day of the week.
- Your tweet stream is mostly about you, promoting your product or referencing your latest blog post.
- You mostly tweet about things about your industry that I don’t follow or am not interested in.
- Your tweet stream contains no re-tweets or interesting links to other people’s content.
- Your tweet stream feels like a one-way conversation.
- Your twitter stream is mostly shout-outs and multiple tweets to everyone you know or that has recently mentioned your name.
- You don’t have a picture
- Your profile summary is empty
Of course, these are not hard and fast rules for me and isn’t to say that if you are doing these things you are doing it wrong.